Shop at Our Salt Lake City Furniture Store
When the COVID-19 pandemic started, many businesses shifted their workers to remote work. Suddenly people reevaluated their home office set-up and sought ways to update their home office furniture and decor. One major trend in home office decor is contemporary office furniture, which is highly prized for features emphasizing form and function.
Whether you’re looking for in-home office furniture or want to browse a modern office furniture selection for your office, shopping in-person is important so you have a clear understanding of the size, look, and overall functionality of each piece. Try out our office chairs for comfort. See how much legroom you have under your desk. Roll out the drawers to determine if you have the storage spaces you need. In the end, you’ll be far more content with your home office if you first experience the pieces in our Salt Lake City showroom.
Our store in Salt Lake City is one of the best places to shop for modern and contemporary office furniture. We can customize each piece to fit your decor and home or office. Plus, we have in-house design experts who can help with your selection and provide suggestions to decorate your space.
Here are just a few tips on shopping for modern office furniture in Salt Lake City.
Before You Get Started
Did you know there’s a distinct difference between modern and contemporary furniture designs? Modern styles were developed during the 1900s-1950s and emphasize clean straight lines, geometric shapes, and function. Modern design is classic and timeless, making it a perfect fit for any home office.
Before you shop for contemporary furnishings, look online for examples of how others have styled their home office or workspaces. Download photos of your favorites and see if there are similarities in your preferences. Do you notice that all of your selections have a certain color or wood grain? Do you prefer some shapes over others?
Next, measure your space and make sure you can create walkways or space to move your chair back and forth throughout the day. Is there a window you would like to look out of? Do your doors open in a way that might damage your furniture from repeated bumps?
Finally, determine how many hours you work each day. Are they all spent sitting? Do you need ergonomic options for your modern office chair or a sit-to-stand desk? How can your furniture selection improve or keep your workday more comfortable?
Shopping for a Modern Office Desk
Your desk can have a considerable impact on your productivity and work satisfaction. That’s why it’s important to choose one that fits your working and storage needs. If you need plenty of space for storing office supplies and files, a small floating desk that only fits your laptop won’t work.
If you have a dedicated office space, a desk will be the anchor and focal point of the room. However, if you only have a corner of your bedroom or dining room, your desk will need to fit in the area you have without overwhelming the rest of the room.
3 questions to consider when choosing a home office desk:
- How much surface area do I need?
- How much storage space do I need?
- What measurements do I need that align best with my physical measurements for the best ergonomic choice?
Contemporary & Modern office desks styles include:
- Traditional ‘L’ or ‘U’ shapes
- Corner desks
- Floating desks
- Credenza desks
- Folding desks
- Ladder desks
- Executive desks
- Writing desks
- Computer desks
- Roll-top desks
- Standing or sit-to-stand desks
Shopping for Modern Home Office Chairs
Now that you’ve selected your desk, it’s time to shop for an office chair that matches and fits your needs. When choosing an office chair, you must consider how many consecutive hours a day you’ll be sitting in it so that you can select an option that is not only stylish but provides optimal comfort.
Here are a few things to look for and measure when shopping for a desk chair:
- Height – If the office chair is adjustable, this won’t be as much of an issue so long as the chair will fit comfortably under the desk. Ensure the armrests won’t interfere if you want to tuck the chair under the desk at the end of the day.
- Seat depth – Do you fit comfortably in the chair, and are the back of your knees at least 2 inches away from the seat edge?
- Back support – Does the chair mimic the curve of your spine, and will it provide enough support throughout your workday?
- Reclining and swiveling features – Your chair should allow some flexibility when you lean back in your seat and allow you to turn and stretch.
- Wheels or no wheels – Depending on the size of your desk and how much mobility you need while working, look for chairs that either have wheels or not.
Design considerations should take into account when shopping for an office chair:
- Fabric and materials – What is the color scheme of your office? Does the fabric fit with the flow, and do the other materials in the chair match and complement others in the room?
- Chair frame – What are the shape and materials of the frame? Do they echo other designs in the office, or will they look out of place?
- Armrests – Do the armrests have architectural design styling that matches the room? Are they comfortable to rest your arms on?
At San Francisco Modern Design, we have a wide selection of modern office chairs in Salt Lake City. There are types of chairs that are better suited to office work than others.
Types of Office Chairs Available at San Fran Design in Utah:
- Drafting office chairs
- Executive office chairs
- Ergonomic office chairs
- Task chairs
- Side chairs
- Folding chairs
- Kneeling office chairs
- Transitional office chairs
- Mid-century office chairs
- High-glam office chairs
- Tablet armchairs
What to Avoid When Shopping for Office Desk Chairs:
- Avoid chairs that are ergonomically uncomfortable or have materials that don’t breathe well.
- If you need mobility, avoid chairs that don’t have casters.
Contemporary Office Décor & Accessories
Your office space must serve your needs, so you will want to emphasize functionality. In addition, the features you add to your home office decor should inspire and boost your productivity.
Here are a few design tips from our interior designers for your home office:
- Lighting is crucial to boosting your mood and preventing eye strain.
- Natural lighting is best, so if you can, situate your home office near a window.
- If not near a window, choose a desk lamp that simulates natural light – not fluorescent lighting.
- The bottom of a task lamp’s shade should be at chin height.
- Add a fresh plant to clean the air and boost your productivity up to 15%.
- Read up on color psychology and choose mood-boosting colors that increase your energy (red) or aid your concentration (blue).
- Place your laptop or computer monitor at least 20 to 40 inches in front of you.
- The top line of your screen should be at or below your eye level.
- Make sure the monitor is perpendicular to the window to reduce screen glare.
Shopping for Modern Office Furniture at our Salt Lake City Furniture Store
Please stop by our Salt Lake City furniture store when searching for contemporary office furniture. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by our wide selection and variety of styles. Plus, every product we offer is customizable, so you can choose your hardware, fabrics, and surface materials to coordinate with your overall look.
By shopping for desks and chairs in our showroom, you’ll have the opportunity to measure and personally experience your new office furniture accurately. If you wish, you can consult with our in-house interior designers or set up an appointment for an in-home visit to analyze your home office space. Visit our Salt Lake City furniture store today.